• 1 tbsp (15 ml) canola oil
• 1 onion, sliced
• 1/4 cup (50 ml) medium curry paste
• 1 cup (250 ml) basmati rice, rinsed
• 2 cups (500 ml) water
• 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped into small chunks
• 4 tomatoes, chopped
• 1/4 cup (50 ml) sultana raisins
• 14-oz (398-ml) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
• 1/4 cup (50 ml) chopped fresh coriander
• 1/3 cup (75 ml) unsalted cashews, roughly chopped
1. Heat oil in large pot and fry onion over medium heat 8 minutes, stirring until pale golden. Add curry paste and stir-fry about 1 minute.
2. Stir in rice, then add water, sweet potato, tomatoes and raisins. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Cover pan and leave on low heat 20–25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rice is just tender and water has been absorbed. Add more water if the mixture becomes too dry before the rice is cooked.
3. Stir in chickpeas and gently heat through. Stir in coriander, season to taste and scatter with cashews before serving.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca
Spicy Rice with Chickpeas