• 1 round steak, 3/4 in. (2 cm) thick
• 1/2 tsp (2 ml) pepper
• 4 medium baking potatoes, washed and sliced lengthwise into 1/2-in. (1-cm) slices
• 1/3 cup (75 ml) reduced-salt chicken stock
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) extra virgin olive oil
• 2 tbsp (10 ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice
• 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh oregano or 1 tsp (5 ml) dried oregano
• 1/2 tsp (2 ml) crushed dried chilies, or to taste
• 1 small onion, finely chopped
• 1/2 cup (125 ml) finely chopped Italian parsley
1. Put all sauce ingredients in sealable plastic bag and shake to mix. Rub steak on both sides with half the pepper, then put steak in bag and close. Refrigerate 30 minutes, or up to 2 hours, turning once.
2. Meanwhile, place wire cooling rack over paper towel. Bring potatoes, remaining pepper and enough water to cover to boil in pot over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until potatoes are almost tender, 10 minutes. Transfer potatoes to rack. Lightly coat potatoes on both sides with nonstick cooking spray (preferably olive oil).
3. Remove steak from sauce. Boil sauce vigorously in small pot 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm. Meanwhile, coat grill pan with nonstick cooking spray and set over medium-high heat. Cook steak and potatoes until steak is done to taste (3 to 4 minutes on each side for medium-rare, 4 to 5 minutes for medium) and potatoes are crispy, about 4 minutes per side. Thinly slice steak across grain. Divide potato and steak slices among 4 plates. Spoon about 2 tbsp (25 ml) warm sauce over each serving.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca
Succulent Grilled Steak with Crispy Potatoes