There’s no question that Torontonians love their warm-weatherfestivals, but if you’re looking for out-of-town urban summer events,Montreal can keep you busy until the snow flies again.
There’s no question that Torontonians love their warm-weather festivals, but if you’re looking for out-of-town urban summer events, Montreal can keep you busy until the snow flies again.
If you’re lucky enough to be heading there this weekend, you can start things off on a low-key, intensely local note by participating in Jane’s Walks, — a national event held to honour the late urban activist and writer Jane Jacobs — with a wide variety of Montreal walks to choose from. You’ll get an insider’s appreciation of including Mile End, Outremont, Milton-Parc and Shaughnessy Village (with many more options available if you understand French). See www.janeswalk.net/participating_cities/montreal for more information.
Then it’s time to move from low-key to the blockbuster circuit. Starting today and continuting through the end of May, the 5th edition of the Biennale de Montréal highlights contemporary Canadian art with works by established and emerging artists from around the world. Overseen by curator Wayne Baerwaldt, this edition will present exhibits of new and recent art in public spaces, and major exhibits in interesting new venues. Guided tours, workshops and lectures are offered. Check out www.biennalemontreal.org for further details.
No sooner will the Biennale end than the month-long Montreal Bike Festival begins. This year is the 25th anniversary of the Tour de l’île de Montreal, which will kick off on Sunday, June 7 with a send-off by the Cirque du Soleil.
On Friday, June 5 the Montreal Bike Festival presents Un Tour la Nuit, wherein 12,000 night owls on wheels will pedal 20 kilometres of city streets after dark. Visit velo.qc.ca for more information on the bike festival.
Montreal’s summer schedule
Some of the major events in Montreal this summer:
• Cirque du soleil, on until July 12, www.cirquedusoleil.com
• Montreal Bike Fest, May 30-June 7, velo.qc.ca
• Mondial de la biere beer festival, June 3-7, festivalmondialbiere.qc.ca
• Nuit blanche sur tableau noir visual arts street festival, June 4-7, , www.tableaunoir.com
• Montreal Fringe Festival, June 11-21, , www.montrealfringe.ca
• L'International des Feux international fireworks festival, June 13-Aug. 15, , www.internationaldesfeuxloto-quebec.com
• Montreal International Jazz Festival, July 1-12, , www.montrealjazzfest.com
• Just for Laughs International Comedy Festival, July 16-26, , www.hahaha.com
• Les FrancoFolies de Montreal, July 30-Aug. 9, , www.francofolies.com
• Rogers Cup tennis tournament, Aug. 8-16, , www.rogerscup.com
• NASCAR Nationwide Series, Aug. 29-30, , www.circuitgillesvilleneuve.ca