Heavenly Eggnog Cheesecake
Smooth and light, this no-bake cheesecake needs only a dollop of whipped cream and a cranberry on each slice to bring delight at the end of a holiday dinner.
1. In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Remove from heat. Add graham crumbs and orange zest. Mix well. Press firmly into bottom and 2.5 cm (1 inch) up side of greased 23-cm (9-inch) springform pan. Chill for 1 hour.
2. In a small saucepan, combine milk and rum. Sprinkle gelatin over top. Let stand for 1 minute. Heat and stir on medium-low heat for about 1 minute until gelatin is dissolved.
3. Remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes.
4. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese for about 3 minutes until smooth. Slowly add gelatin mixture, beating constantly until smooth. Add eggnog, vanilla pudding powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. Beat well.
5. In a medium bowl, beat whipping cream until soft peaks form. Fold into eggnog mixture. Spread evenly in crust. Chill for about 3 hours until set. Cut into wedges to serve.
Makes 16 servings.
1. In a small saucepan, combine cranberries, cranberry cocktail and sugar. Heat on medium for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until boiling and cranberries are softened.
2. In a small cup, stir orange juice into cornstarch until smooth. Add to cranberry mixture. Heat and stir for 1 to 2 minutes until boiling and thickened.
3. Add butter, orange zest and salt. Stir well. Let cool.
Makes about 400 ml (1 2/3 cups) sauce. Spoon over individual servings of cheesecake.
Nutrients per serving with 22 ml (1 1/2 tbsp) sauce: 398 calories, 27.2 g fat, 93 mg cholesterol, 32 g carbohydrates, 1 g fibre, 6 g protein, 370 mg sodium.