So far, 23 elective pediatric surgeries have been cancelled at the IWK Health Centre after asbestos was discovered in duct work surrounding six pediatric operating rooms on Tuesday.
Jocelyn Vine, VP patient care for the IWK, says a crew is onsite assessing the situation.
“We can’t say how long it will be until the surgeries are rescheduled because we don’t yet know how long it will take to resolve the situation,” she said. “Each of the patients will be re-assessed and prioritized to see that the patients with the most pressing needs are booked first.”
Material containing asbestos was discovered in duct work surrounding the Pediatric ORs after a staff member noticed a white substance in one of the rooms. Testing found no airborne asbestos.
The isolated area has been closed off until the duct system has been fully assessed. While no other areas of the hospital have been closed off, the inspection crew is in “full assessment mode,” Vine said.