• 3 egg whites
• 1/2 tsp (2 ml) vanilla extract
• 1/4 tsp (1 ml) cream of tartar
• 3/4 cup (175 mL) sugar
• Berries of your choice
• Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, optional
1. Place egg whites in small mixing bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Add vanilla and cream of tartar to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form.
2. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tbsp (15 ml) at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
3. Drop eight mounds onto parchment-lined baking sheet. Shape into 3-in. (7.5 cm) cups with back of spoon. Bake at 225ºF (107ºC) 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until set and dry. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven 1 hour.
4. Cool on wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Fill shells with berries and whipped cream or ice cream if desired.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca
Swiss Meringue Shells