The Calgary Fire Department is urging Calgarians to take precautions against “entirely prevent-able” tragedies, in the wake of a northwest Calgary fire that has left two dead and two still in hospital

Yesterday, Deputy Chief Brad Lorne spoke out about the necessity of smoke detectors.

“Fatality fires should never occur if you have proper early warning,” he said, but added that proper care must be taken to make sure smoke detectors work.

According to the ongoing investigation, there was no working smoke detector in the home of the fire that has took the life of 19-year-old Jon­athan St. Pierre and put three others in hospital due to smoke inhalation.

Bars on the windows of the basement suite may have prevented the victims from escaping from the home in the 500 block of 33 St. NW.

It has yet to be determined who put the bars on the windows and whether they violated any codes, but the cause of the fire has been blamed on a space heater.

“Bars on windows must be able to be opened without special knowledge, tools or devices,” Lorne said.

The landlord is responsible for ensuring a working smoke detector is installed, while it is the tenants’ responsibility to ensure they are maintained.

Violations to the fire code can carry fines up to $15,000 or six months in jail, and the violator can be charged under the Criminal Code.