Double stabbing claims 15-year-old, second teen still in hospital



rafe arnott/metro vancouver


A police officer guards the entrance to a lane in the 1000 block of East 33rd Avenue in East Vancouver yesterday afternoon where two teenagers were stabbed. One of the victims, a 15-year-old boy, later died. He is the city’s third homicide of 2008.


A 15-year-old boy is dead and a 19-year-old boy is injured after a double stabbing yesterday morning near a park in East Vancouver.

The victim was identified as Deward Ponte, 15, of Vancouver, according to the boy’s stepfather Keith Blais.

The 19-year-old is still in hospital and is listed in stable condition.

“I’m shocked,” said Blais, who was at the murder scene yesterday. “The mother is devastated.

“Yesterday afternoon we all went out to a birthday party. Then he went off to play basketball at the Sunset Community Centre and he didn’t come back.”

Just before 2 a.m., police were called to Grays Park, located in the 1000 Block of East 33rd Avenue, over a complaint about a dozen noisy teenagers in the park.

Minutes later, officers received another 9-1-1 call about screams coming from behind a house on the south side of 33rd Avenue.

“They found two young men … had been stabbed,” said Const. Tim Fanning. “Officers helped them as much as they could.”

The pair were transported to hospital, Fanning said, but the 15-year-old died from his injuries.

Blais, who had to identify his stepson at the hospital morgue yesterday morning, said Ponte had a “tough life” but was doing OK.

“I’ve never heard of him getting into trouble.”

His friend, John Ou, 16, described Ponte as a “nice guy” who took his relationships with his friends seriously.

Yesterday, officers combed the park and surrounding neighbourhood. From the street, a large number of small yellow cones and orange spray-paint could be scene in the park.

Fanning said about a dozen officers were investigating the stabbing.

“It’s such a tragedy to be investigating the murder of a 15-year-old boy,” Fanning said.