This batter is very thin, much like crêpe batter. Keeping it cold in an ice bath is important because it helps make the tempura crispy and light. Makes 6 servings
• 3/4 cup (175 ml) all-purpose flour
• 1/4 cup (50 ml) cornstarch
• 1/4 tsp (1 ml) baking soda
• 1 egg
• 1 cup (250 ml) ice water
• 2 cups (500 ml) fresh corn kernels
• Vegetable oil for deep-frying
• 1/4 cup (50 ml) tempura dipping sauce (such as Kikkoman)
• 1/4 cup (50 ml) water
• 1/4 cup (50 ml) grated daikon radish
In large bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, egg and 1/2 cup (125 ml) of the ice water. Whisk in remaining water, 1/4 cup (50 ml) at a time, to make thin batter. Stir in corn. Place bowl in second bowl filled with more ice water.
Pour enough oil into wok or Dutch oven to come about 2 inches (5 cm) up side; heat until 375°F (190°C) on deep-fry thermometer, or until 1-inch (2.5 cm) cube of white bread turns golden in 30 seconds.
Gently drop batter, 2 tbsp (25 ml) at a time, into hot oil (batter will sink slightly then rise to surface with bits breaking off at edges). Deep-fry, turning once, until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Drain on paper towel–lined rack.
DIPPING SAUCE: In small saucepan, bring dipping sauce and water to boil; remove from heat. Squeeze out liquid from radish; add radish to sauce. Serve with tempura.
Warm Spanish Chicken Salad
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 35 MINUTES
Makes 4 servings
• 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
• 1/2 tsp (2 ml) paprika
• 1/4 tsp (1 ml) each salt and pepper
• 1 each sweet red and green pepper, cut into 2 cm-wide strips
• 6 cups (1.5 l) loosely packed mixed baby salad greens
• 1/2 cup (125 ml) thinly sliced sweet onion
• 1/3 cup (75 ml) quartered pimiento-stuffed green olives
• 1/4 cup (50 ml) each toasted slivered almonds and crumbled feta cheese
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
• 1/2 tsp (2 ml) Dijon mustard
• Pinch each salt, pepper and granulated sugar
In bowl, toss together chicken, oil, paprika, salt and pepper; transfer to foil-lined baking sheet. Add red and green peppers; bake in 375°F (190°C) oven until peppers are tender and chicken is no longer pink inside, about 35 minutes. Let chicken cool enough to handle; thinly slice crosswise.
In large bowl, combine salad greens, onion, olives, almonds, chicken and peppers.
In small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper and sugar; pour over salad and toss to coat. Sprinkle with feta cheese.
Pear Apple Crisp
PREP TIME: 12 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 1 HOUR
Makes 6 servings
• 6 cups (1.5 l) chopped cored peeled pears
• 2 cups (500 ml) chopped cored peeled apples
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) all-purpose flour
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) packed brown sugar
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) lemon juice
• 1/4 tsp (1 ml) cinnamon
• 1 cup (250 ml) quick-cooking rolled oats (not instant)
• 1/2 cup (125 ml) packed brown sugar
• 1/3 cup (75 ml) all-purpose flour
• Pinch ground nutmeg
• 1/3 cup (75 ml) salted butter, melted
In bowl, toss together pears, apples, flour, sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon until combined; spread in 8-inch (2 l) square glass baking dish. Set aside.
In small bowl, whisk together oats, sugar, flour and nutmeg; drizzle with butter, tossing with fork until crumbly. Sprinkle over pear mixture.
Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven until pears are tender and topping is golden and crisp, about 1 hour.