Fly from a dysfunctional airport this travel season, and you may find yourself eating your holiday dinner in Terminal C. To help travelers plan ahead, NerdWallet foundthe airports that are most likely to derail your itinerary with cancellations and delays.
In the analysis of the 50 busiest U.S. airports, weweighed cancellation and delay rates in November and December 2013-2015 from the Bureau of Transportation Statistics. We also factored in Yelp ratings of the airports’ dining options, just in case you’re stuck ordering a turkey sub.
Here are the 10 airports that are the worst for holiday travel:- Dallas/Fort Worth International (DFW)
- San Francisco International (SFO)
- Newark Liberty International (EWR)
- Chicago O’Hare International (ORD)
- LaGuardia Airport (LGA)
- Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International (CVG)
- Denver International (DEN)
- Kansas City International (MCI)
- Washington Dulles International (IAD)
- Dallas Love Field (DAL)
If your travel itinerary includes any of these airports, consider these tips for a smoother airport experience:
- Join TSA PreCheck to expedite security screening.
- If traveling abroad, enroll in Global Entry to help speed your time in customs.
- Wait out delays in airport lounges, which typically offer free Wi-Fi, beverages and other perks.
- Check out certain credit cards that reimburse you for the cost of PreCheck or Global Entry, offer free lounge access and provide other travel-related perks. Premium travel cards typically require good or excellent credit, so check your credit score before applying:
NerdWallet is a free tool to find you the best credit cards, cd rates, savings, checking accounts, scholarships, healthcare and airlines. Start here to maximize your rewards or minimize your interest rates.Laura McMullenGet Your Free Credit Score
- Get your free score every week.
- Set goals and see your progress.
- Signing up won't affect your score.
Get your credit score
See the best airports and read the methodology and additional details in the full report.
Laura McMullen is a staff writer at NerdWallet, a personal finance website. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Twitter: @lauraemcmullen. Courtney Miller is a data analyst at NerdWallet. Email: email@example.com.