An Amtrak passenger train derailed in Washington state on Monday morning, injuring and killing an unknown number of people.
The derailment happened 40 miles south of Seattle, on a bridge over a major highway, the AP reported. The crash blocked all southbound lanes on Interstate 5 and prompted a massive emergency response, according to local authorities and news media reports.
— Tom Winter (@Tom_Winter) December 18, 2017
The Pierce County Sheriff’s office said in a tweet that the train was heading southbound and that there were “injuries and casualties,” but no numbers were immediately available.
- PHOTOS: New art and old relics at Mickey Mouse's NYC gallery 25 Pictures
- PHOTOS: See Yes on 3 supporters react to historic transgender rights Question 3 win 11 Pictures
- PHOTOS: A look back at Queen performing in the 1970s and 1980s 22 Pictures
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 35 Pictures
- PHOTOS: A look at Idris Elba's style through the years 20 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Heidi Klum's annual Halloween party and other amazing celebrity costumes 17 Pictures
- These are the spookiest cities per capita in the U.S. 5 Pictures
- Food Network star talks pumpkin carving 1 Pictures
- Who is Alexander Edwards, Amber Rose's new boyfriend? 9 Pictures
- Is Cardi B pregnant again? This tweet has people guessing 6 Pictures
- Natural Museum's best wildlife photos of the year 5 Pictures
Amtrak confirmed its train was involved but did not provide further information. “We are aware of an incident involving Amtrak train 501,” the rail operator said on Twitter. “We will update with additional details as they become available.”
Part of the train fell onto the interstate around 7:30 a.m. causing several injuries, The News Tribune reported.
A photograph posted on Twitter by the Washington State Department of Transportation showed a train car that had apparently veered off a bridge onto the highway below. The agency said southbound lanes were closed, and warned drivers to avoid the area.
The National Transportation Safety Board said on Twitter that it was gathering information about the incident.
Reuters contributed to this report.