Home
 
Choose Your City
Change City

Catalan police thwart second terror attempt near Barcelona

The situation is "under control" in the Catalan city of Cambrils, according to police, who killed four terrorists and arrested another.
Cambrils
The attempt in Cambrils is linked to the earlier attack in Barcelona that left at least 13 dead, officials say. Photo: Google Commons

Catalan police tweeted that another incident is being treated as a possible terror attack in Cambrils, a city southwest of Barcelona. The parties responsible have been “taken down.”

It is close to 3 a.m. in Spain and authorities say the situation is “under control," but the operation is ongoing and police urge those in the area to use caution.

The police in Catalonia tweeted that four "terrorists” are dead and one is injured. The injured suspect has been arrested.

RelatedArticles

An earlier tweet reads: “We are working under the assumption that the events in Cambrils are related to a terrorist attack. We have brought down those allegedly responsible.”

Authorities believe this most recent attack is part of a coordinated attempt to target tourists in Catalonia, according to reports.

A manhunt was underway for the driver of a van that mowed through crowds of tourists on Barcelona's most famous avenue on Thursday, killing at least 13 people in an attack that was claimed by Islamic State.

Authorities said the death toll could rise, with more than 100 people injured, some seriously.

Police said they arrested two men, a Moroccan and a man from Spain's north African enclave of Melilla, though neither was the driver. Witnesses said the driver fled on foot.

It was still not clear how many attackers had been involved.

Hours beforehand, one person was killed in an explosion in a house in a town southwest of Barcelona, in an incident linked to the attack, police added. Residents of the house were preparing explosives, a police source said.

Reuters contributed to this report.

 
 
Consider AlsoFurther Articles