Jack Posobiec, a right-wing conspiracy theorist and U.S. Navy Intelligence officer, has one of the military’s highest security clearances — which is now under review.
The officer-turned-activist told NBC he "never conducted any of my political activities while in uniform or on government time. I never once mishandled classified information."
Jack Posobiec Releases Statement on His Service Record pic.twitter.com/d2Kws0gLfW— Jack Posobiec 🇺🇸 (@JackPosobiec) August 17, 2017
If you aren’t familiar with Posobiec, here are a few of his greatest hits:
- Pizzagate: He implied that there was a child-sex ring under a Washington D.C. pizza parlor Comet Ping Pong. The fake stories claimed the ring was led by then-candidate Hillary Clinton. A man from North Carolina drove to the D.C. pizzeria and opened fire in the restaurant.
- Seth Rich rumors: Posobiec is one of the loudest voices disseminating rumors about the murder of DNC staffer Seth Rich, who was fatally shot in 2016 during what investigators believe was a botched robbery. Conspiracy theorists claim Rich leaked the DNC emails to Wikileaks, which then led to his murder.
- Y tu Brute?: The Trump supporter interrupted a Julius Caesar play, decried as anti-Trump for the lead character’s resemblance to No. 45, by yelling “you are all Goebbels!”
- Deplorable demonstration: He tried to undermine a protest in D.C. by holding up a sign that said “Rape Melania.”
- En français: He reportedly leaked emails from French President Emmanuel Macron’s campaign.
Posobiec also retweeted a report from GotNews.com that falsely accused a Michigan man of being the driver of the vehicle that killed counterprotester Heather Heyer.
“Literally, I was trying to find out about the car crash, who did it and that [the GotNews.com article] was the first article I saw and I accidentally hit the retweet button,” he told The Daily Beast. “I immediately took it down, once I realized I did, but to say that I helped frame an innocent man is posterous [sic].”
On Tuesday, President Trump retweeted Posobiec, who wrote about the lack of media coverage of shootings in Chicago while the nation was focused on the “Unite the Right” rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, on Saturday.
Thank you, Mr President pic.twitter.com/siKWF7hIrY— Jack Posobiec 🇺🇸 (@JackPosobiec) August 15, 2017
That’s a pretty full dance card for someone with Top Secret, Secret Compartmentalized Information clearance, but a Navy official told CNN on Wednesday that Posobiec's security clearance is being reviewed to determine if his behavior violated the conditions of his clearance.
“A clearance holder who has a full-time job in a non-Governmental capacity is still bound by the rules and restrictions that come with holding a security clearance,” national security attorney Brad Moss told The Daily Beast. “Mr. Posobiec cannot ‘turn on’ and ‘turn off’ his obligation to the U.S. Government, even as a Reservist.”
“As a matter of policy, clearance holders are not supposed to be accessing WikiLeaks or particularly viewing leaked classified documentation to which they were not otherwise already authorized access,” he added.
I've had enough of these people pic.twitter.com/utSO6TwE1i— Jack Posobiec 🇺🇸 (@JackPosobiec) August 16, 2017