Rock group nominated for 5 Juno Awards
dustin rabin/warner music
- PHOTOS: New art and old relics at Mickey Mouse's NYC gallery 25 Pictures
- PHOTOS: See Yes on 3 supporters react to historic transgender rights Question 3 win 11 Pictures
- PHOTOS: A look back at Queen performing in the 1970s and 1980s 22 Pictures
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 35 Pictures
- PHOTOS: A look at Idris Elba's style through the years 20 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Heidi Klum's annual Halloween party and other amazing celebrity costumes 17 Pictures
- These are the spookiest cities per capita in the U.S. 5 Pictures
- Food Network star talks pumpkin carving 1 Pictures
- Who is Alexander Edwards, Amber Rose's new boyfriend? 9 Pictures
- Is Cardi B pregnant again? This tweet has people guessing 6 Pictures
- Natural Museum's best wildlife photos of the year 5 Pictures
With two successful albums, five Juno nominations, and tour dates all over the world, Billy Talent has cemented itself as a major player in the Canadian music scene.
“Everything that we’ve ever dreamt of, and everything that we could have ever imagined happened is happening,” says lead singer Ben Kowalewicz, adding, “It’s a bit strange. It’s everything that we’ve expected and so much more. We’re very privileged.”
The quartet is coming off a tour of the U.S. after spending February in Europe. This weekend, the band will fly back to Canada for the Juno Awards, something Kowalewicz says they are looking forward to. “It’s a good opportunity for us to see friends in other bands that we don’t get to see very often, and hang out and have some drinks.
“Its also nice to see the energy in the cities. I don’t think Saskatoon gets too many things like this very often so I know everybody is going to be in their best form and have as much fun as they can.”
The members of Billy Talent, which won three Junos for its self-titled debut in 2005, are looking to adding to their total this year.
With nominations for album of the year, single of the year, group of the year, video of the year and rock album of the year, Billy Talent is tied with Juno host Nelly Furtado, and Canadian hip-hop artist k-os for the most nominations. The recognition is reflective of the success Billy Talent is having not only in Canada, but around the world.
Following its tours of the U.S., Canada and Europe, Billy Talent has announced a short three-city tour of Australia for mid-April. Last November, the guys even got the chance to appear on Late Night With Conan O’Brien.
While Kowalewicz admits he is enjoying the band’s success, he says it has not affected the way Billy Talent approaches music, adding the group never writes a song with radio play in mind.
“Once you start writing music like that, you start compromising the source of where the music comes from and what music is supposed to do.”