Trivia question: What city can lay claim to more than half of the remaining presidential contenders? Yep. New York. And with the Empire State’s primary looming, you can expect to see the candidates trudging up and down Broadway like actors looking for auditions. That leads my three things to watch this week in politics.
1)HOME COURT ADVANTAGE:Bernie Sanders was born in New York. Hillary Clinton has adopted it as her home. Either way, both of the Democratic contenders will be hollering up their homies for what promises to be a ripping debate on CNNThursday night. All that friendly banter of the early days? Fuggedaboutit. Expect tough talk and spiked spinning afterward. Donald Trump will probably be tearing out his remaining hair because he can’t get into the fight with them. Oh wait, it’s Trump. He’ll find a way. Meanwhile, Ted Cruz – find any New York values you like yet?
2)SLOW AND GRUDGING: The Department of Justice has finally and reluctantly released documents related to the federal sting-turned-fiasco called Fast and Furious. That was the gun-running operation that was supposed to ferret out big drug dealers in Mexico but ended up arming some instead. One weapon was even found in the hideout of El Chapo. Congressional Republicans have been screaming for the papers for years, but it took a court order to make it happen and even then the Obama administration waited until the deadline. Not sure the GOP can get any attention on the matter amid all the campaign noise, but they’ll try this week anyway.
3)GETTING AWAY FROM IT ALL:If everything goes as planned, Bernie Sanders will be hanging out with His Holiness in Rome just days before the New York vote. Maybe. Sanders proudly announced he’d been invited to the Pontifical Academy of Social Sciences, and that’s happening on Friday. But then came some angry words from folks suggesting he kind of invited himself, and it’s not clear if he’ll see the Pope, and…heavens knows how it will turn out. Literally.
(CNN’s Tom Foreman is the author of My Year of Running Dangerously.)
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 35 Pictures
- Here's what it's like to fish for your dinner at Zauo NYC (photos) 21 Pictures
- PHOTOS: The best cosplay of NYCC 2018, Day 3 44 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Looking back at Heidi Klum's best Halloween costumes 19 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Nightmare Machine, the haunted house for millennials 14 Pictures
- American Music Awards 2018: Red carpet looks, list of winners 23 Pictures
- Who is Alexander Edwards, Amber Rose's new boyfriend? 9 Pictures
- Are Blac Chyna and Rob Kardashian getting back together? 8 Pictures
- Anne Frank's Diary now comes as a graphic novel 3 Pictures
- Reimagine End of Life celebrates all things death and dying 5 Pictures
- 2018 Emmy Awards: List of winners, red carpet looks 29 Pictures