It’s a big day for the Halifax Mooseheads as they continue to rebuild their struggling franchise.
The Mooseheads hold the third overall pick in the Canadian Hockey League import draft and will file their selection online at 10:30 a.m.
Although Mooseheads general manager Cam Russell won’t say who he wants to take, expect it to be a high-impact forward.
The Prince George Cougars and Sarnia Sting hold the first and second picks.
“We feel we’re going to get an exciting player who will be with us for the next two or three years, somebody who can step in right away,” was all Russell was willing to say.
It’s common for GMs to have pre-draft agreements with imports and typically they don’t want to let other teams know about it.
The Mooseheads need a player with a scoring touch to help replace departed captain Tomas Knotek, who signed a pro contract in Finland.
A handful of players fit that bill.
“We have three guys (who want to play in Halifax) and we’ll take the best guy remaining at the third spot,” Russell said.
CHL import draft
Five players to watch for in the CHL import draft, according to International Scouting Service.
• LW Martin Frk (Pictured): Skilled Czech has a mean streak and is ISS’s No. 1 prospect.
• C Victor Rask: He might not want to play in the CHL, but is one of the best players available.
• LW Nicklas Jensen: The speedy Dane’s father played in the OHL.
• C Joel Armia: A six-foot-three Finnish sniper.
• LW Sondre Olden: The six-foot-four Norwegian sleeper was drafted by the Maple Leafs on Saturday.
– Find out who the Mooseheads picked at www.metronews.ca/qfiles
- PHOTOS: Filipino devotees nailed to crosses to re-enact crucifixion4 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Memorial spotlights the man behind Nipsey Hussle rap persona14 Pictures