If you don’t have a meat thermometer handy, you can still test your steak’s doneness using the hand touch method. The BBQ Kingpin himself, Ted Reader, dishes some of his tips:
• This method of testing for a steak is relatively easy and you will never find yourself looking for a thermometer while grilling. Shake one hand loose so that it is completely relaxed.
• Touch the soft fleshy part of your relaxed hand at the base of your thumb. This soft texture is similar to the texture of a blue rare to rare steak.
• Now touch your thumb and forefinger together and again touch the base of your thumb. This texture is similar to a medium-rare steak.
• Next, touch your thumb to your middle finger. This firmer texture is similar to the texture of a medium steak.
• Next, touch your thumb to your fourth finger. The semi-firm texture at the base of your thumb is similar to a medium-well steak.
• Lastly, touch your thumb to your pinky finger. The very firm texture at the base of your thumb is similar to a well-done steak.
- PHOTOS: What's Brewing in Steamy Hallows, the Harry Potter-Inspired Cafe19 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Frida Kahlo at the Brooklyn Museum doesn't hold back23 Pictures