Wikipedia describes a swimming pool as "an artificially enclosed body of water intended for swimming or water-based recreation."
Whoever penned those unlovely words had obviously never sipped a killer mojito in a cliffside infinity pool as the sun set over the Agean. Twenty-first century hotel pool design marries hi-tech with high art. Metro Travel has scoured the globe to find the five best.
5. Blue Lagoon, Icelend
If air temperatures of just above freezing coupled with geo-thermally heated seawater pools set in other-worldy black lava sounds like your bag, then this Icelandic gem is for you.
Lots of caves, and crannies, steaming waters and a distinct feeling of being on another planet. Relax and sink away into the pool. (bluelagoon.com)
- PHOTOS: New art and old relics at Mickey Mouse's NYC gallery 25 Pictures
- PHOTOS: See Yes on 3 supporters react to historic transgender rights Question 3 win 11 Pictures
- PHOTOS: A look back at Queen performing in the 1970s and 1980s 22 Pictures
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 35 Pictures
- PHOTOS: A look at Idris Elba's style through the years 20 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Heidi Klum's annual Halloween party and other amazing celebrity costumes 17 Pictures
- These are the spookiest cities per capita in the U.S. 5 Pictures
- Food Network star talks pumpkin carving 1 Pictures
- Who is Alexander Edwards, Amber Rose's new boyfriend? 9 Pictures
- Is Cardi B pregnant again? This tweet has people guessing 6 Pictures
- Natural Museum's best wildlife photos of the year 5 Pictures
4. Banyan tree Mahé, Seychelles
A classic infinity pool overlooking Intendance Bay at Banyan Tree resort on the island of Mahé, it benefits from being surrounded by jungle-like fauna and a hotel with stunning service.
3. Intercontinental Hong Kong
Brilliant hotel with a trio of brilliant infinity pools which give the impression you are floating in Victoria Harbour. Each pool is heated to a different temperature but all have underwater music piped in. (InterContinental.com)
2. Hotel du Cap Eden-Roc, France
A-listers from JFK to Madonna have chilled here and the hotel is the setting for Scott Fitzgerald’s Tender is the Night. The infinity pool is the perfect place to star watch as well as relax as you overlook the bay. (hotel-du-cap-edenroc.com)
1. Perivolas Santorini, Greece
The Perivolas infinity pool is rarely far from travel magazine covers and with good reason — it is insanely beautiful. Set on the edge of a the Santorini Caldera (a big volcanic hole now filled with the impossibly blue waters of the Agean) the views are almost surreally serene. The family-owned boutique hotel is also humblingly tasteful. An absolute must-do-before-you-die location. perivolas.gr