Here’s a show-stopper dessert that uses delicious home-made caramel to add some pizzazz in flavour.
Caramel Pumpkin Spice Mousse Tarts
• 1 cup (250 ml) granulated sugar
• 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
• 1/2 cup (125 ml) hot whipping cream
• 12 baked tart shells
Pumpkin Spice Mousse:
• 1/2 cup (125 ml) whipping cream
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) icing sugar
• 1 cup (250 ml) pumpkin or butternut squash puree
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) packed brown sugar
• 1/2 tsp (2 ml) each ground cinnamon and ginger
• 1/4 tsp (1 ml) ground nutmeg
1. In a high-sided heavy saucepan, stir together sugar and water over medium heat, stirring until dissolved. Increase heat to medium-high, cover and bring to a rolling boil. Uncover and boil, without stirring for about 10 minutes or until deep amber colour. Swirl pan as necessary to cook evenly. Remove from heat and slowly add hot cream. Stir with long-handled spoon until blended and bubbles subside.
2. Pour about 1 tbsp (15 ml) of the caramel into bottom of each baked tart shells. Refrigerate for 15 minutes or until caramel is set on top and reserve remaining caramel sauce.
3. In a large bowl, whip cream and icing sugar until they form stiff peaks. Using whisk, whisk in pumpkin, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg until no streaks remain. Scrape mousse into piping bag fitted with star tip, pipe into caramel-filled tart shells and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 1 day before serving.
4. Warm remaining caramel sauce and drizzle tarts before serving.
• Emily Richards is a professional home economist, cookbook author and a tv celebrity chef. For more, visit emilyrichardscooks.ca.
– With files from The Associated Press