If winter meals appear to be dreary and in need of a lift, this tasty recipe for nut-crusted turkey cutlets with praline sauce will be just the ticket.
Turkey Cutlets with Praline Sauce
- 3/4 cups (175 mL) dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely chopped pecans
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) hot pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cold water
- 1 1/2 lb (750 g) turkey cutlets
- 1 cup (250 mL) packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) water
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) butter
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) liquid honey
- 1 tsp (5 mL) hot pepper flakes or hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) pecan halves, toasted
1. In large bowl, combine breadcrumbs, pecans, sage, hot pepper flakes, if using, salt and pepper; set aside.
2. Place all-purpose flour on a large plate and place eggs and water in a shallow bowl. Dredge each cutlet in flour, shaking off excess. Then dip into egg mixture, coating both sides well. Coat both sides of cutlet in breadcrumb mixture.
3. Place cutlets on an oiled baking sheet and bake in centre of 350 F (180 C) oven for 30 minutes or until lightly browned and cooked through. Set aside.
4. Praline Sauce: Meanwhile, in heavy-bottomed saucepan combine sugar, water, butter and honey. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat, stirring frequently until thickened. Stir in hot pepper flakes, salt and pecan halves. Let cool for about 10 minutes then spoon over cutlets and serve.