Fire officials say residents and pets involved in a house fire early this morning weren’t injured.
Shortly after 5 a.m., a fire began in the closet of a home on Oakland Dr. Two residents and 23 cats were in the house at the time.
Brian McAsey of the fire department said the residents are associated with a rescue society and were taking care of the cats.
“(The fire) went to the attic of an attached garage and thankfully it didn’t go unnoticed as sometimes those fires do.”
McAsey said firefighters were able to contain the cats to rooms in areas of the house where the fire hadn’t spread and managed to get the fire under control.
Investigators have yet to release the damage estimate.