1. Tim Hortons goes extra large: Timmies got national attention this week when it announced a brand new extra-large cup size (24 ounces) to be introduced Monday, Jan. 23. But perhaps this tweet from radio DJ Dani Stover (@danigray) said it best: “I don’t care about the size of Tim Horton’s cups, all I want to know is when I can roll up the rim.”
2. Seth Rogen: The Golden Globes were a snore until Canada’s Seth Rogen took the stage to present an award alongside Kate Beckinsale and said, “Hello I’m Seth Rogen, and I’m currently trying to conceal a massive erection.” Then everyone was aroused, er, woken up. Yes, a good penis joke never fails. Even George Clooney made one later in the broadcast.
3. Alcatraz Vancouver: Fox’s fantastic, spooky, supernatural, J.J. Abrams-created prison drama Alcatraz, which premiered this week, is being produced in Vancouver, on the same North Shore Studios lot where several seasons of The X-Files were made. That makes this must-watch show all the more spooky.
4. Internet of darkness: More than 7,000 websites — including Wired, BoingBoing and Wikipedia — “went dark” Wednesday to protest anti-piracy legislation, currently making its way through the U.S. Congress, that could affect the Internet and freedom of speech. With less Internet, water-cooler talk must have gone up 25 per cent that day.
5. Tom Cruise & race cars: During a discussion on closeted gay celebrities on Piers Morgan Tonight this week, Rosie O’Donnell said, “People say to me all the time, ‘Tom Cruise is gay.’ I’ve been around Tom Cruise a lot. Tom Cruise drives race cars, Tom Cruise is ... I do not think Tom Cruise is gay. I have never thought Tom Cruise is gay.” Well, OK, then.
6. Groom’s Bieber dance: If you’re a groom and at your wedding you and your groomsmen star in an epic choreographed performance set to Justin Bieber’s Baby, it will get the attention not only of your bride but also of the world.“Brian’s Surprise Justin Bieber Wedding Dance for Emily” on YouTube already has nearly four million views.
7. Giant killers: The 15-1 Green Bay Packers were being called one of the best teams ever and were expected to repeat as Super Bowl champions, but in a stunning playoff collapse on their home field they lost 37-20 to the New York Giants. The Packers finished the season 15-2 — one of the biggest choke jobs in history.
8. Andrea Bargnani: The seven-foot 26-year-old is finally showing why the Toronto Raptors drafted him first overall in 2006. Averaging 22 points a game (No. 9 in the NBA) and a career-best 6.5 rebounds a game, Bargnani is playing like an all-star on a mediocre Raptor team. He may yet be the second coming of Dirk Nowitzki.