Urban farm shows Spryfield's agricultural roots
Spryfield was founded around 1770 by Captain William Spry. He bought aparcel of land on the western frontier of the new city of Halifax andmade it his home, with the help of a few soldiers.
Spryfield was founded around 1770 by Captain William Spry. He bought a parcel of land on the western frontier of the new city of Halifax and made it his home, with the help of a few soldiers.
Spry left his field and returned to England in 1783, but he left behind his name and a strong agricultural, outdoorsy tradition that makes the area worth a visit today.
While pavement and concrete had pretty much buried the community’s farming roots by 1996, that didn’t stop resident Michele Raymond from dreaming of an urban-gardening rebirth.
She pitched the idea of forming the Urban Farm Museum Society, an active farm that could preserve and display the community's agricultural heritage. With community support, Raymond -- who is now the area’s MLA -- finally made it happen in 1998.
The UFMS is a working farm that produces food, teaches people about farming and deepens Spryfield’s famous sense of community.
Visitors can check out the farm tucked in amongst a grove of trees on the Kidston’s traditional farm field at the corner of Rockingstone Road and Ardwell Avenue. You can reach them via urbanfarmspryfield.com.
The Mi’kmaq, who lived in the area now called Spryfield for thousands of years, hunted and fished at Long Lake, accessible along Old Sambro Road. Today, it’s a popular swimming spot, and a place to paddle a canoe or kayak. With limited access (the other main entry point is across the lake on St. Margerets Bay Road), there are rarely any motorized boats in the lake, making for a quiet break from the city.
For a quick and delicious meal, grab a slice at Thornhill Pizza at 407 Herring Cove Road.
The eatery has been in the same spot for more than 30 years, serving up donairs, pizza, lasagna, seafood and hot sandwiches.