Leeks, leafy greens, tomatoes, white beans and ground veal pack a nutrient punch in this simple soup. It can be made in advance and reheated before serving.
Add a whole-grain roll and a piece of fruit for a quick, healthy, energy-sustaining meal.
- 750 g (1 1/2 lb) ground veal
- 2 ml (1/2 tsp) each salt and pepper
- 500 ml (2 cups) chopped leeks (white and light green parts only)
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1.5 l (6 cups) chicken broth
- 1.5 l (6 cups) chopped Swiss chard, kale or spinach
- 500 ml (2 cups) canned tomatoes
- 250 ml (1 cup) rinsed and drained canned white beans
- Shaved Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Lemon zest, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, cook ground veal with salt and pepper over medium-high heat, breaking into small pieces, until no pink remains, about 10 minutes.
- Add leeks and cook until tender but not browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in rosemary and bay leaves.
- Pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add in chard and reduce heat to maintain a simmer; cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and beans and heat through, about 5 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve garnished with shaved Parmesan cheese and lemon zest.