• 2 tbsp (25 ml) olive oil
• 3 shallots, roughly chopped
• 1 lb (500 g) butternut squash, peeled and diced
• 2 celery sticks, sliced
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 1/4 cup (300 ml) beef stock
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) Worcestershire sauce
• 4 venison steaks
• 398 mL can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
• 1 tsp (5 ml) smoked or regular paprika
1. Heat oil in a large, heavy-based pot and fry shallots, squash and celery over fairly high heat, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown. Preheat broiler to high.
2. Add bay leaf, stock and 1 tbsp (15 ml) Worcestershire sauce, and bring to boil. Reduce heat, then cover and simmer until vegetables are just tender. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
3. Meanwhile, brush venison steaks with remaining Worcestershire sauce and cook 4-5 minutes on each side. Cut into thick pieces, if you like.
4. Stir chickpeas into pot of vegetables and bring back to boil. Spoon vegetables onto serving plates and top with venison. Sprinkle with the paprika and serve.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca
- There's fanfic at The Met and it's all because of the Tale of Genji21 Pictures
- Oscars 2019: Red carpet looks and full list of winners36 Pictures