Animal services warning owners in Etobicoke
Pet owners face a possible rat poison risk in a south Etobicoke neighbourhood, Toronto Animal Services warned yesterday.
Two dogs have died and three others have fallen ill in five weeks.
"When you’re out walking, make sure your dog isn’t eating anything that might be harmful," said manager Eletta Purdy. "(And) we really want people to think about keeping their cats indoors."
- PHOTOS: What's Brewing in Steamy Hallows, the Harry Potter-Inspired Cafe19 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Frida Kahlo at the Brooklyn Museum doesn't hold back23 Pictures
Veterinarian Dainius Verbickas, of Pet Vet Lakeshore Hospital, which has handled all five cases, performed a post-mortem on the first dog and told the Etobicoke Guardian it is likely the dogs ingested rat poison.
"I found severe bleeding and some greenish pellets," he said. "Usually, these (rat poison) products contain green dyes and look like pellets."
Etobicoke residents who suspect their pet might be poisoned are asked to call Toronto Animal Services at 416-338-6271, Purdy said.