What else might the people of southern Ontario have acquired for the $1.1 billion spent on the G8 and G20 summits? A partial list:
• Five new Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner passenger jets — the deluxe version with a range of nearly 16,000 kilometres.
• A down payment on a NASA space shuttle, based on the $1.7-billion cost of Endeavour, which had her maiden voyage in 1992.
• Just about all of the approximately 600 Stradivarius violins and cellos now in existence, calculated according to an average price per instrument of $2.15 million.
• Another year in Afghanistan based on the estimated $11.3-billion cost of Canada’s war effort in that country from 2001 to 2011.
- Labrador retriever fetches top U.S. dog breed honor for record 28th year7 Pictures
- Oscars 2019: Red carpet looks and full list of winners36 Pictures