Suspected terrorist Ahmad Khan Rahamiwas taken into police custody after an exchange of gunfireMonday morning in Linden, New Jersey.
Metro has collected all the background information now known about Rahami:
- He was born in Afghanistan on Jan. 23, 1988.
- His last known address is inElizabeth, New Jersey—where a backpack of pipe bombs was discovered on Sunday.
- Rahami's family operates a restaurant called First American Fried Chicken on Elmore Avenue in Elizabeth, and lives above the eatery.
- Last year, Rahami'sfather and brother sued the city of Elizabeth on grounds of ethnic discrimination because the city did not want them operating their restaurant 24 hours a day. A judge ruled in favor of the city, which required the restaurant to close at 10 p.m.
- Following the judge's ruling, Rahami's brother returned to Afghanistan.
- Rahamiis said to have a passion for cars, especially those suchas Honda Civics which he soupedup and raced, according to a neighbor.
- He was described as friendly, and would sometimes give free fried chicken to customers.
- He has reportedly made several trips to Afghanistan.