Neither one of the two men who authorities say planneda massacre at the Pokemon World Championshipshave criminal records or permits for the weapons they are charged with transporting from Iowa, according to published reports.
James Stumbo, 27, of Boone,only has minor traffic offenses on his record in the nearby central Iowa counties, the Ames Tribune reported.
Last year, Kevin Norton, 18, was taken from his Ames home to a local medical center following a dpmestic disturbance but because he was a minor, the details are not public, according to the Tribune.
The Boone County Chief Deputy told the paperthat Stumbo did not have a gun permit issued from Boone County. The Story County Sheriff said that Norton does not have a permit either.
Authorities say Stumbo and Norton were detained after they reportedly made threatening social media posts, including a photo from Stumbo’s Facebook account of Norton’s 2002 Chevy Prizm with a NRA sticker on the trunk, where an AR-15 and a 12 gauge shotgun lay across each other in an X shape. The caption reads: “Kevin Norton and I are ready for worlds Boston here we come!!!” In the comments section under the picture, a friend wished them luck. Norton replied, “with killing the competition?”
Other alleged threats include references to “Colmubine pt. 2,” “another Boston Massacre,” the “Boston bombing” and other alarming quotes from a chatroom conversation. In one instance, Stumbo is said to have written “My AR-15 says ‘you lose.’”
Stumbo’s attorney told the judge in Boston Municipal Court that his client should not face charges because he was not in control of the car and was not in possession of any of the guns at the time of his arrest. But the Facebook post from Stumbo’s account would suggest that he was well aware of the weapons in the car.
Police reportedly found two high-powered firearms, a pile of ammunition and hunting knife on Friday in a vehicle they were driving. The pair were arrested in a Saugus hotel room Saturday after authorities were tipped off and made sure the two did not enter the Hynes Convention Center.
Representatives from the Boone County Sheriff and the Ames Police Department did not return calls for comment.
Stumbo and Norton are scheduled to appear in court on Sept. 1 for a dangerousness hearing. They are currently being held without bail.