Officials react to Lower Manhattan terror attack on social media – Metro US

Officials react to Lower Manhattan terror attack on social media

New York City officials — and President Trump — react to Tuesday's terror attack in Manhattan.

As details continue to emerge in Tuesday afternoon’s terror attack in Lower Manhattan, in which at least eight people were killed and at least 15 others were injured, city officials have taken to social media. 

“This was a cowardly act of terror,” the mayor tweeted. “It was intended to break our spirit. But New Yorkers are resilient. We will be undeterred.”

Gov. Andrew Cuomo wrote that “terror will not change New York. We will go forward stronger together.”

President Donald Trump, a native New Yorker, called the suspect “a very sick and deranged person. Law enforcement is following this closely. NOT IN THE U.S.A.”

“No words for the horror this one murderer has spread on what should be a joyful night for families in Manhattan,” Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer tweeted.

“Thanks NYPD for rapidly responding to tragic situation downtown. Worried and saddened to hear about injuries and loss of life,” Sen. Chuck Schumer tweeted.

Republican mayoral candidate Nicole Malliotakis urged the public to “pray for recovery of those injured and for the families of victims” as facts continued to come to light.

Independent candidate Bo Dietl tweeted that his “deepest sympathy and prayers go out to our fellow New Yorkers downtown.”

Reform Party candidate Sal Albanese was nearby, he said on his Twitter, and he offered his thoughts and prayers to the victims.

Smart Cities candidate Mike Tolkin tweeted that he was “heartbroken for the lives we lost today. To all affected: No words can do justice, but know that we are with you. Today and every day.”

The incident occurred around 3 p.m. when an unidentified 29-year-old male suspect drove a white pickup truck rented from Home Depot southbound on a bike path along the West Side Highway, mowing down cyclists and pedestrians.

He was shot in the abdomen by police after exiting the vehicle near Chambers Street and was brandishing an imitation weapon. He was taken into custody and transported to Bellevue Hospital for treatment. 

More from our Sister Sites