Quantcast
Once gutted by fire, apartment complex now smoke-free - Metro US

Once gutted by fire, apartment complex now smoke-free

A newly renovated southwest Calgary apartment complex gutted by a fire in 2007 has now opened its units to a completely smoke-free living environment.

Lakeview Mews property management company Realstar Management claims the building is the first 100 per cent smoke free apartment complex in Calgary.

“As the trend against smoking strengthens, more and more individuals are requesting non-smoking properties to call home, so it was important for us to satisfy this request” Realstar vice-president Scott Bigford said in a release. “During the renovation process, we decided to convert the property to a smoke-free home to benefit both the health of our new residents, as well as the environment,”

Dustin Pelly is a resident at the apartment. Because of his asthma condition, he chooses to live in the smoke-free environment.

“It was definitely a motivating factor to move in,” he said.

Calgary Apartment Association president Gerry Baxter acknowledges that there are landlords in Calgary who have smoke-free units, but said this is a move towards a completely non-smoking environment.

“I don’t know if it’s a trend, but there are definitely a lot more people asking questions about smoke-free apartments now than in the past,” Baxter said, adding residents may prefer it for health reasons.

“Some people don’t want to be around smoke at all and will find this a very good alternative.”

More from our Sister Sites