Parking expenses issue - Metro US

Parking expenses issue

Q. My parents live in a condominium and we have discovered over the past year that they have been overcharged for the common expenses for their parking spot. It is not a substantial amount of money but it should be corrected. Should I approach the Board of Directors to see if we can get this issue sorted out?

A. More often than not residents pay their common expenses through automatic debit from their bank accounts and so it is difficult to stop these automatic withdrawals if they are too high. Usually a call to the management office will fix this situation. If not responsive, the ultimate responsible body for the corporation’s governance is the board of directors. If you are not getting any response from the management office, I would encourage you to contact the board and state your case. This issue may be more widespread than you think and something that needs to be brought to the board’s attention.

– Jeffrey Cowan is the principal with Cowan Taylor and McGee, Barristers & Solicitors. The information in this article should not be relied upon as legal advice.

More from our Sister Sites