Using salsa as a base for sauces adds tons of flavour without a lot of effort. Look for fresh tortellini or small ravioli and choose your favourite filling of meat or cheese.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) chunky medium salsa
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) ricotta cheese
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- Pinch pepper
- 1 pkg (350 g) fresh cheese or meat tortellini pasta
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
- In nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat and cook onion, garlic and oregano for 5 minutes or until softened. Add salsa and bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Stir in ricotta, 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the parsley and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook tortellini for about 8 minutes or until they are tender but firm (al dente).
- Drain and add to sauce and toss to coat. Serve immediately or alternatively scrape into shallow casserole and sprinkle with cheese. Broil for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden. Sprinkle with remaining parsley.
Emily Richards is a professional home economist, cookbook author and TV celebrity chef. For more, visit emilyrichardscooks.ca.