Black sesame bagel with sweet potato cream cheese1/4
Black sesame bagel with sweet potato cream cheese
"The Standard" at Spread: wood oven smoked bacon, eggs and cheese on a Montreal-st|Spread Bagelry2/4
"The Standard" at Spread: wood oven smoked bacon, eggs and cheese on a Montreal-st|Spread Bagelry
|South Street Philly Bagels
We've got Rainbow Bagels in Philly! Rejoice!3/4
|South Street Philly Bagels
We've got Rainbow Bagels in Philly! Rejoice!
Get your lox on at Philly Style Bagels.4/4
Get your lox on at Philly Style Bagels.
There is nothing more heavenly than waking up to the crusty, doughy deliciousness of a first-class bagel. While it may not be common knowledge to Philly outsiders, our fair city has become quite the bagel town, with bagel shops popping up everywhere from Rittenhouse to Fishtown. No matter where in the city you are, giving into your bagel craving has never been easier. To help you on your quest, here are our top picks for the best bagels in Philadelphia.
725 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106
The fine folks at Knead tout themselves as a “non-traditional” bagel shop and they certainly have interesting flavors to backup the claim, including the spicy togarashi and cardamom bagels. If you’re keeping it simple, however, their fennel seed & sea salt is a nice middle ground.
- PHOTOS: New art and old relics at Mickey Mouse's NYC gallery 25 Pictures
- PHOTOS: See Yes on 3 supporters react to historic transgender rights Question 3 win 11 Pictures
- PHOTOS: A look back at Queen performing in the 1970s and 1980s 22 Pictures
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 35 Pictures
- PHOTOS: A look at Idris Elba's style through the years 20 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Heidi Klum's annual Halloween party and other amazing celebrity costumes 17 Pictures
- These are the spookiest cities per capita in the U.S. 5 Pictures
- Food Network star talks pumpkin carving 1 Pictures
- Who is Alexander Edwards, Amber Rose's new boyfriend? 9 Pictures
- Is Cardi B pregnant again? This tweet has people guessing 6 Pictures
- Natural Museum's best wildlife photos of the year 5 Pictures
262 South 20th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
If it’s a Montreal-style bagel you’re looking for, a visit to Spread Bagelry is in order. While their bagel varieties are more traditional, their array of homemade, local jams and spreads takes things to the next level. Try their smoked Nova salmon cream cheese for an extra kick. If you’re in the mood for something sweeter, the seasonal sweet berry cream cheese is a must-try.
South Street Philly Bagels
613 South 3rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147
Open since 1996, this family-owned and operated bagel business is dedicated to the New York-style bagel and serves up a range of varieties including blueberry, egg, pumpernickel and chocolate chip. If your Instagram feed is missing a shot of a rainbow bagel, don’t worry, they have those too.
Philly Style Bagels
1451 Columbia Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19125
The world has New York and Montreal-style bagels, so it’s about time there was a Philly-style bagel, right? Created by Collin Shapiro and Jonathon Zilber, the Philly-style bagel sets itself apart by being boiled in water and beer. This ingenious twist to the bagel experience may put off bagel purists but it sure is tasty. Try one for yourself at their recently opened shop in Fishtown.
Have more bagel recommendations for us? Tell us in the comments below!
Follow Jennifer Logue on Twitter @jenniferlogue