Harry Connick Jr. played at the Perelman School of Medicine's 250th birthday party at|HughE Dillon1/2 Harry Connick Jr. played at the Perelman School of Medicine's 250th birthday party at|HughE Dillon
Joan Jett hung out backstage with Wells Fargo Center security and event management|Todd Kaplan2/2
Joan Jett hung out backstage with Wells Fargo Center security and event management|Todd Kaplan
Sad news from Philly's nightclub scene: Club owner and manager Clark Maloney passed away Friday due to complications from a kidney transplant. Maloney ran 1925 Lounge on 17th Street (once known as G-Lounge) and Coda (formerlyWhisper), and had long-closed clubs Xero, Shampoo and Rock Lobster. "I'm devastated," says internationally known, Philly-based DJ King Britt.
Iconic signs in South Philly are big in May. While indie rock fans of Broad Street's Boot & Saddle wait for its legendary neon "boot" to return from Len Davidson's repair shop, the now-razed King of Jeans property on East Passyunk Avenue has a new sign announcing “Queen of Jeans Coming Summer 2015,” with a woman wearing the pants. Local artists South Fellini and Kid Hazo are responsible for the new image.
Nick Berardi, the man behind the Rittenhouse area's Richard Nicholas Hair Studio and the Scissorcandy website, is opening a new barbershop, Nic Grooming, at 17th and Sansom with his sons Joseph and Nicky Berardi.
- PHOTOS: Blues dump Bruins to win Stanley Cup after agonizing 52-year wait40 Pictures
- PHOTOS: This Pakistani waiter looks just like Peter Dinklage8 Pictures
Last week's Non-Comm radio convention at World Café Live had as much drama outside the building as it did inside the club. While Best Coast vocalist Bethany Cosentino was spied singing karaoke at 12 Steps Down in the Italian Market, Ryan Adams made himself look foolish by not performing with his folkie girlfriend Natalie Prass at World Café Live. Word has it Adams refused to play because people wouldn't put away their cell phone cameras.
•Rapper Rick Ross attended Power 99's White Party at Vanity Grand (6130 Passyunk Ave.) on Saturday.
• Country singer Wynonna Judd and Beach Boy Brian Wilson were both spotted at Hotel Palomar, on Friday and Saturday.
• “Real Housewives of Atlanta”’s NeNe Leakes and husband Gregg got a tour of the Pier Shops at Caesars in Atlantic City from its owner, developer Bart Blatstein, on Saturday.
•Harry Connick Jr. sang "It Had to Be You" at Perelman School of Medicine's 250th birthday party at the Philadelphia Museum of Art on Saturday with billionaire Ray Perelman, NBC News' Andrea Mitchell and Mayor Michael Nutter in attendance.
• Wynnewood-born rocker Joan Jett hung out with Wells Fargo Center security staff before her gig opening for The Who on Sunday.