In a dramatic move Tuesday night, PhiladelphiaEagles owner Jeffrey Lurie announced the team released controversial coach Chip Kelly.
Now, while Kelly garnered opprobrium far and wide for his, let's say, creative actions – like trading away LeSean McCoy and not bringing back Jeremy Maclin, as Metro'sEvan Macy explained – his firing was unexpected.
In fact, it was so unexpected that it's even been reported thatthe media knew before some Eagles insiders did.
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 35 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Apple Emoji update includes a llama, skateboard and some bagel drama 24 Pictures
On Twitter, the reaction, from players and personalities,was immediately harsh and, at times, whimsically creative:
- Emmanuel Acho, NFL Free Agent/Eagles Player:"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."
- Mark Schlereth, Sportscaster and Former NFL Player: "Never like to see people get fired but this one to me was as plain as the nose on your face." Schlereth added that Kelly was "doomed" if he didn't "change his system."
- Julian Vandervelde, NFL Free Agent/Eagles Player: "So does Chip getting fired mean the #Eagles will call me tomorrow OR never again? Vote now!" Later, Vandervelde responded to a question about Kelly's release simply with"Hodor."
- David Aldridge, Sportscaster: "Honk if you had Brett Brown lasting longer in Philly than Chip Kelly."
- Trey Wingo, Sportscaster: "Chip Kelly revolutionized nothing in the NFL. Everything he tried to do had been done before by other coaches only better."
- Jayson Stark, Sportswriter and Commentator: "What a year in Philly. Ryne Sandberg quits before a game. Chip Kelly 'released'in midweek. Good times."
- Donovan McNabb, Retired NFL Player/Eagles Quarterback: "Well I tried to tell you before the game Saturday that the game meant much more to Chip then anything. Philly is about playoff wins. Fired." McNabb later added, "Now that the Eagles made the move, will Jerry Jones and the Mara family follow with their decision. NFC East was a disaster all year."
- Britt McHenry, Sportscaster: "Mayhem in Philly about Chip Kelly. Had more than 1 person tell me had problems trying to view team site w/ everyone trying to read statement." McHenry also reported, "In touch with one #Eagles player who just replied "shocked," about Chip Kelly release. Much like many right now..."
Fans and even those with a passing interest in football are eagerly awaiting to hear from LeSean McCoy, whose arguably premature departurefrom Philadelphia has been called one of the worst moves in recent Eagles history.