When a friend recommended that I try the Buffalo Cauliflower Taco at Bar Bombon, I have to admit I was hesitant. “I certainly hope there’s some meat in that taco, too,” I joked. The day was long and I was famished. Usually my preferred tacos are the pulled pork-filled variety because they just seem more sustaining. Cauliflower as a main? This should be interesting.
Turns out the adorable Bar Bombon on Rittenhouse serves up Latin-inspired fare that is completely vegan, so there was no hope for my carnivorous craving.
After placing my order, I waited in anticipation, hoping my leap of vegan faith would be rewarded with a full belly.
When my waiter placed the dish in front of me, I was surprised by the sheer volume of food. The tacos were pretty large, but being on a flour tortilla, were easy to eat. The cauliflower was seasoned to mimic buffalo chicken and had a zesty taste without being too spicy. The tacos also contained refried beans and were topped with mirepoix, which is a mix of cut veggies — onions, carrots and celery — for an added crunch.
- PHOTOS: New art and old relics at Mickey Mouse's NYC gallery 25 Pictures
- PHOTOS: See Yes on 3 supporters react to historic transgender rights Question 3 win 11 Pictures
- PHOTOS: A look back at Queen performing in the 1970s and 1980s 22 Pictures
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 35 Pictures
- PHOTOS: A look at Idris Elba's style through the years 20 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Heidi Klum's annual Halloween party and other amazing celebrity costumes 17 Pictures
- These are the spookiest cities per capita in the U.S. 5 Pictures
- Food Network star talks pumpkin carving 1 Pictures
- Who is Alexander Edwards, Amber Rose's new boyfriend? 9 Pictures
- Is Cardi B pregnant again? This tweet has people guessing 6 Pictures
- Natural Museum's best wildlife photos of the year 5 Pictures
Along with the tacos, you also get a side of rice and beans.
Let’s just say I was absolutely stuffed from just one taco and my sides. I took home the other one for lunch the next day. Who knew veggies could be so delicious? I’ll never underestimate the power of cauliflower again.