Kate Marlys of Philly PR Girl is looking forward to checking out the second annual Bi|1/2 Kate Marlys of Philly PR Girl is looking forward to checking out the second annual Bi|
Bex, morning show host at 96.5 AMP Radio, is ready to get fancy at Hair O' The Dog. <|2/2 Bex, morning show host at 96.5 AMP Radio, is ready to get fancy at Hair O' The Dog. <|
We’re glossing right over those post-holiday blahs and moving ontoall the fun, festive things to do in Philadelphia in January. We asked a few of our favorite Philly VIPs to give us the inside scoop on what they'll be up to — and what we should put on our calendars too.
• I am starting the year with a Philly staple in the winter, a trip to Winterfest at Penn's Landing.Every year around the holidays I do a winter activity with my little cousins. We like the ice skating mixed with the atmosphere. It extends the warm festive feel into the winter when Christmas and New Year's Eve are behind us.
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 35 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Apple Emoji update includes a llama, skateboard and some bagel drama 24 Pictures
• Next is Center City Restaurant Week at the end of January. When the winter blues start to set in I love getting out to different restaurants and trying new things.I love a nice meal with a glass of wine. Hopefully I'll have a chance to sip while looking out at the snow on the streets of Philly.
• Lastly, the sports scene!Since I co-host a Philly sports talk show,I'm hoping the Eagles win the division and take us pastJan. 3.A few weeks ago, I would have never thought playoffs for this team, but let's hope we see some football in January!
• January always means Center City Restaurant Week, which just so happens to fall on my birthday week every year — not that I needed another reason to go out and try Center City’s amazing restaurants! For all the Philly foodies, #CCDRW offers three-course dinners for only $35 per person and some restaurants will even offer a three-course lunch for $20.
•I missed this event last year, but I’m definitely going to hit up the second annual Big Philly Beerfest, Jan. 15-16 at the Pennsylvania Convention Center.If you’re a home brewer or just a beer enthusiast, this is the place for you to sip and sample over 300 types of craft beers! While you spend the day drinking, your ticket cost will go towards raising funds for Animal Rescue Partners. This nonprofit group is committed to the support of pet adoption agencies, animal rescues, and spay/neuter programs.
•Still in the holiday spirit? At the Walnut Street Theatre, “A Christmas Story” is playing through Jan. 10. You know, the movie we all know and love and watch on repeat every Christmas? It’s now a musical comedy!
• It's time to get fancy! The 22nd annual Hair O’ The Dog bash (Jan. 16)is a must. There are nights that I enjoy hanging around in my sweatpants, but if I have the opportunity to get dressed up and dance the night away, I don't hesitate. Hair O' The Dog will bring together some of Philly's best DJs and also one of my favorite cover bands, GoGo Gadjet! Plus, an additional incentive is that a portion of the proceeds will benefit THON, Penn State Dance Marathon [afundraising effort to fight pediatric cancer].
•“Once” is making its way to Philadelphia! The Broadway production is coming to the Kimmel Center Jan. 15-17. As a lover of music, my favorite part of the show is that the actors and musicians play all their own instruments onstage. The show is only in town for one weekend but has five showtime options. If you needed another reason to see Once, it was the winner of eight 2012 Tony Awards.
• Hopefully by the time Jan. 29 rolls around there will be some fresh powder at Jack Frost Mountain! My sister-station WXTU is hosting their annual XTU Ski Day. It's going to require a little bit of road trip to Jack Frost but there are incentives. For starters, slope tickets are only $9.25! Also, country artist Locash will be performing and my favorite part is it's a Friday event, so you can make a whole weekend out of it. Rent a cabin on AirBnB.com and enjoy the weekend on the mountain!