A man wanted in connection with the violent campus rape of a Rutgers University student turned himself into police Friday night, the Associated Press reported.
Authorities said Michael Knight, 37, of Newark,followed the vicitim through the campusaround 3:30 a.m., suddenly struck her on the head, beat her and attempted to sexually assault her near College Avenue and Seminary Place when a group intervened on her behalf, according to authorities.
Knight allegedly threatened to shoot a man who gave chase after him, a statement from the Middlesex District Attorney's office said.
- PHOTOS: New art and old relics at Mickey Mouse's NYC gallery 25 Pictures
- PHOTOS: See Yes on 3 supporters react to historic transgender rights Question 3 win 11 Pictures
- PHOTOS: A look back at Queen performing in the 1970s and 1980s 22 Pictures
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 35 Pictures
- PHOTOS: A look at Idris Elba's style through the years 20 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Heidi Klum's annual Halloween party and other amazing celebrity costumes 17 Pictures
- These are the spookiest cities per capita in the U.S. 5 Pictures
- Food Network star talks pumpkin carving 1 Pictures
- Who is Alexander Edwards, Amber Rose's new boyfriend? 9 Pictures
- Is Cardi B pregnant again? This tweet has people guessing 6 Pictures
- Natural Museum's best wildlife photos of the year 5 Pictures
Knight, who faces charges of aggravated assault, attempted aggravated sexual assault, aggravated sexual contact, kidnapping and endangering his injured victim, was held on $1 million bail.
The woman has since been treated and released from the hospital.