A 33-year-old man was shot in the head and killed Monday night while trying to intervene during an armed robbery at his friend's West Philadelphia home, police said. After shooting the man, the suspect stole cash and a cell phone, authorities said.
At around 10 p.m., a woman invited the suspect, whom she knew, into her home near the 5400 block of Girard Avenue. A short time later, that man tried to rob her, according to reports.
The woman's friend, who was also at the home at the time, attempted to intervene and was shot. The suspect fired at least two shots into the man's head, police said.
- PHOTOS: New art and old relics at Mickey Mouse's NYC gallery 25 Pictures
- PHOTOS: See Yes on 3 supporters react to historic transgender rights Question 3 win 11 Pictures
- PHOTOS: A look back at Queen performing in the 1970s and 1980s 22 Pictures
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 35 Pictures
- PHOTOS: A look at Idris Elba's style through the years 20 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Heidi Klum's annual Halloween party and other amazing celebrity costumes 17 Pictures
- These are the spookiest cities per capita in the U.S. 5 Pictures
- Food Network star talks pumpkin carving 1 Pictures
- Who is Alexander Edwards, Amber Rose's new boyfriend? 9 Pictures
- Is Cardi B pregnant again? This tweet has people guessing 6 Pictures
- Natural Museum's best wildlife photos of the year 5 Pictures
"After shooting the 33-year-old victim, the perpetrator still robbed the 36-year-old female of her cell phone and $20 and fled down the steps and out the door of the property," Philadelphia Police Chief InspectorScott Small told CBS Philly. "Based on ballistic evidence we know at least two shots were fired from a semiautomatic weapon."
The victim was taken to a hospital, where he later died of his injuries.
Police say they know the suspect, and are searching for him.