An apartment fire in the city's East Germantown neighborhood led firefighters and investigators to a gruesome scene Monday.
The body of a 64-year-old man was found on the floorinsidean apartment on the 500 block of East Church Lane. He had been stabbed 77 times, and his body was in the advanced stages of decomposition, burned beyond recognition.
He was lateridentified as Robert Lynch.
Police said the killer stabbed Lynch last week, and returned Monday to light him on fire. Firefighters spent only a few minutes extinguishing the flames, fire Capt. William Dixon said.
- PHOTOS: New art and old relics at Mickey Mouse's NYC gallery 25 Pictures
- PHOTOS: See Yes on 3 supporters react to historic transgender rights Question 3 win 11 Pictures
- PHOTOS: A look back at Queen performing in the 1970s and 1980s 22 Pictures
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 35 Pictures
- PHOTOS: A look at Idris Elba's style through the years 20 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Heidi Klum's annual Halloween party and other amazing celebrity costumes 17 Pictures
- These are the spookiest cities per capita in the U.S. 5 Pictures
- Food Network star talks pumpkin carving 1 Pictures
- Who is Alexander Edwards, Amber Rose's new boyfriend? 9 Pictures
- Is Cardi B pregnant again? This tweet has people guessing 6 Pictures
- Natural Museum's best wildlife photos of the year 5 Pictures
Neighbors told 6ABC a putrid smell came in through vents and hallways last week in the apartment complex.
"You can smell the smoke in the air. You can actually smell the body. I walked by there from time to time, now that we are allowed to walk that way," resident Frankie Green said.
Police said they have identified a person of interest, but have not made any arrests.