An officer assigned to a SWAT unit was shot in the abdomen serving a warrant on a murder suspect in the Northeast section of Philadelphia.
The suspect, identified as Devon Guisherd, was killed. The officer was listed in stable condition at Aria Torresdale Hospital.
The incident happened at6 a.m. at an apartment complexon the 800 block of Riverside Drive. Officers were attempting to arrest a man wanted for the murder of a pregnant woman in September.
Police say Guisherd grabbed a gun and began running toward a back bedroom as the SWAT team entered the apartment. He fired. The officer returned fire, hitting Guisherd in the chest.
Police Commissioner CharlesRamsey said the officer -- who he did not identify -- had been shot once before in the line of duty. The officer was wearing a bullet proof vest that provided extra protection around the abdomen. The bullet did not pierce the vest.
"The officer does have a pretty nasty bruise, but he is recovering," Ramsey said.
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 35 Pictures
- Here's what it's like to fish for your dinner at Zauo NYC (photos) 21 Pictures
- PHOTOS: The best cosplay of NYCC 2018, Day 3 44 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Looking back at Heidi Klum's best Halloween costumes 19 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Nightmare Machine, the haunted house for millennials 14 Pictures
- American Music Awards 2018: Red carpet looks, list of winners 23 Pictures
- What you need to know about MTV's 'How Far Is Tattoo Far?' 9 Pictures
- Who is Alexander Edwards, Amber Rose's new boyfriend? 9 Pictures
- Are Blac Chyna and Rob Kardashian getting back together? 8 Pictures
- Anne Frank's Diary now comes as a graphic novel 3 Pictures
- Reimagine End of Life celebrates all things death and dying 5 Pictures
"He's assigned to SWAT, they have special protective gear. Had he been a patrol officer, we'd be having a different conversation."
He is a father of two.
Ramsey said the suspect was wanted on a warrant related to the murder of a pregnant woman last fall, but did not identify the suspect.
Guisherdwas wanted for the murder of Megan Doto,who was full-term pregnant when she was killed by a stray bullet while sitting on her porch.
Doto's baby was delivered by Caesarian section. The baby later died.
Dotoleft behind two other children.