Albert Lee of the Independence Visitor Center shows off his Philly pride.1/6 Albert Lee of the Independence Visitor Center shows off his Philly pride.
Philly PR Girl owner Kate Marlys knows where all the good parties are.2/6 Philly PR Girl owner Kate Marlys knows where all the good parties are.
Natanya DiBona shows us how Diner en Blanc Philadelphia is supposed to be done.3/6 Natanya DiBona shows us how Diner en Blanc Philadelphia is supposed to be done.
Teddy Sourias owns BRU Craft & Wurst, U-Bahn, and the new Uptown Beer Garden.4/6 Teddy Sourias owns BRU Craft & Wurst, U-Bahn, and the new Uptown Beer Garden.
Alex Holley gives us the scoop every morning on Fox 29's “Good Day Philadelphia.”|5/6 Alex Holley gives us the scoop every morning on Fox 29's “Good Day Philadelphia.”|
HughE Dillon is Philly's favorite paparazzi. He shares gossip and insider tips on Phi|6/6 HughE Dillon is Philly's favorite paparazzi. He shares gossip and insider tips on Phi|
Who says August is dead? Philly VIPs tell us where to go and what to do all month long. (We didn’t let everyone just say Diner en Blanc — but you’ll see them all there.)
Click through the slideshow for photos of these Phllly experts out and about in the city.
- PHOTOS: NYC 2019 Pride Parade31 Pictures
Community and Content Manager, Independence Visitor Center (self-description: Trusted Tourism Geek)
• Summer is all about festivals and you don’t want to miss Night Market. They’re taking over Lancaster Ave on Aug. 6 from 6 to 10 p.m. Come hungry!
• Every Wednesday to Saturday, the Pennsylvania Dutch travel from Lancaster to Philadelphia’s Reading Terminal Market to sell their delicious baked treats, dried meats and some of the best soft pretzels I have ever eaten. And in August, they not only bring their amazing treats but come around with a petting zoo and horse drawn wagon rides during the annual Pennsylvania Dutch Festival, Aug. 6–8.
• It’s been considered quite a spectacle but it’s really all in good fun. I’m talking of course about the Philly Naked Bike Ride. A few thousand of your closest friends strip down to whatever level they are most comfortable with (some bare all) and take a scenic bike ride through the streets. With the addition of Ride Indego, there is no telling how many new riders will be checking a bike for the day. Circle the date: Aug. 29 at 3 p.m.
Owner, Philly PR Girl
• Music lovers will be glad to hear that everyone is touring and passing right through our city this month: Earth Wind and Fire, Billy Joel, Phish, Zac Brown Band, Jimmy Buffett, Meghan Trainor and, of course, the Mad Decent Block Party. If you are a fan of live music, it’s going to be a good month for you!
• As a die hard Philadelphia sports fan, I’m also very excited for football season! I’m looking forward to the Eagles’ free open practices on Tuesday, Aug. 4 and Sunday, Aug. 9.
• I’m also loving the outdoor movie series this summer. Every Thursday in August, a film will be screened under the stars at Penn’s Landing. The Schuylkill Banks Movie Series includes films at Grays Ferry Crescent, by Walnut Street and at the Paine’s Park skatepark.
Co-Host, Diner en Blanc Philadelphia
• On Aug. 7, I’m off to enjoy the members’ preview of “Things Beyond Resemblance: James Welling Photographs” at the Brandywine River Museum of Art in Chadds Ford. It is always a great time to reconnect with other members of the museum’s Young Friends while we take in works by this LA-based artist.
• No summer is complete without enjoying a performance (or two) by Martha Graham Cracker. As a rabid and longtime fan, I wouldn’t dream about missing her 10th anniversary show, Aug. 22 at Union Transfer.
Owner, BRU Craft & Wurst, U-Bahn, andUptown Beer Garden
• The Under the Sun Tour on Saturday, Aug. 22, at Xfinity Live! is totally my jam with all my favorite bands like Sugar Ray, Better Than Ezra, Uncle Kracker and Eve 6.
• I’ll be heading out for Center City Restaurant Week at Vesper. I love the vibe, the food and, of course, the cocktails.
• Every Wednesday you can find me at Center City Sips, at my new spot Uptown Beer Garden or one of the other hot spots nearby. When it’s not a Sips night, look for me at Ashton Cigar Bar, Stratus Lounge and El Vez.
Anchor, “Good DayPhiladelphia,” Fox 29
• I can’t get enough of Spruce Street Harbor Park at Penn’s Landing. I spent nearly all summer there last year and plan to finish August by sneaking away for fun on the river as much as I can. I’ll also be hitting up the PECO Multicultural Series at Penn’s Landing with the Festival of India on Aug. 15 and Caribbean Festival on Aug. 16.
• Philly is all about great music. Thursday nights I’ll be dancing outside at the Dell Music Center. It’s a great chance to get up-close-and-personal with your favorite performers. The ones to watch on my list are definitely Tyrese and Anthony Hamilton on Aug. 6, and Erykah Badu on Aug. 13.
• The great thing about working so early in the mornings is that I have all afternoon to explore great restaurants near the station. In Old City, I’ll be sipping mojitos at Cuba Libre or enjoying Watermelon Feta Gazpacho at The Continental. On the weekends, you can find me brunching on South Street at Bridget Foy’s with Red Velvet Doughnut Holes and a glass of sangria.
Philly Chit Chat,Paparazzi, Photographer
• Philly Geek Awards (Aug. 15) is one of my favorite events of the year! I love that Philadelphia has a community to discuss technology and innovation to improve our lives. The geek community is so strong and it’s a great chance for folks to come from behind their nerdy glasses, let their hair down and honor each other.
• Diner en Blanc Philadelphia on Aug. 20 is not to be missed. lt is always amazing to me that two locals had such vision and leadership to bring this global event to Philadelphia [and] put their own Philly spin on it. One year I guessed the location ahead of time. We’ll see if I’m right again this year.
• “Dreamgirls” star Sheryl Lee Ralph brings her DIVAS Simply Singing benefit concert to Philadelphia for the first time at the Dell (Aug. 22). The show celebrates 25 years and is the country’s longest running HIV/AIDS benefit. I have a special connection as I saw it 23 years ago in Washington — that was the first time I saw Sheryl perform live and, boy, was I wowed.
• On the celebrity front, I’ll be on the lookout for Josh Brolin, Maggie Gyllenhaal and Olivia Munn filming “Three Seconds.” It will be a chance to return to my roots as the city’s paparazzi. I might even share secrets about where they are taping on Philly Chit Chat and Twitter. Stay tuned.