Pilot radioed for help before fatal crash in East River - Metro US

Pilot radioed for help before fatal crash in East River

A helicopter carrying six people crashed in New York City’s East River on Sunday, killing all passengers, while the pilot survived, police said.

Moments before it crashed into the frigid waters, the pilot frantically radioed for help, the New York Daily News and other media reported.

“Mayday, mayday, mayday,” the pilot said, according to news accounts. “Engine failure. We’ve got an engine failure over the East River.”

Two of the five passengers died at the scene and three were taken to two area hospitals where they later died, NYPD and FDNY officials confirmed early Monday.

The pilot freed himself and was rescued and later was treated and released in good condition from a hospital, police said. According to ABC News, the pilot was identified as 33-year-old Richard Vance of Danbury, Connecticut. 

The Federal Aviation Administration said the Eurocopter AS350 went down near the northern end of Roosevelt Island at about 7 p.m. and was investigating. The National Transportation Safety Board said its investigative team would arrive on Monday and hold a press briefing in the afternoon, a spokesman told Metro via email.

“It’s a great tragedy,” said FDNY Commissioner Daniel Nigro at a press conference late Sunday. “It took a while for the divers to get these people out.”

Nigro said when the divers reached the helicopter it was inverted and in 50 feet of water with below 40-degree Fahrenheit water temperatures and four-mile-an hour currents. The passengers were tightly harnessed, and the harnesses had to be cut and removed to free the passengers in the helicopter, he added.

A Reuters photographer witnessed three people recovered by rescue divers being wheeled on stretchers onto a midtown pier shortly before 9 p.m.

NYPD Commissioner James O’Neill said the aircraft was registered to Liberty Helicopters, a sightseeing and charter service based in New Jersey, and was on a private charter “photo shoot.”

The U.S. Coast Guard launched three boats to aid in the response, joining New York City emergency responders.

“It kind of hit sideways and just flipped over,” Brianna Jesme, 22, an Upper East Side resident who witnessed the crash, told Reuters TV.

Video of the incident filmed by an onlooker and posted on Twitter showed a red helicopter descending toward the water at dusk, then landing with a large splash before tipping onto its right side, its tail lights still flashing.

Reuters could not immediately verify the authenticity of the footage.

The NYC Ferry said late Sunday on Twitter that service on the Astoria and East River routes was currently suspended until further notice because of the helicopter crash, but normal service resumed by the morning rush-hour commute, the agency said on Twitter Monday morning. 

Liberty Helicopters said on its website it has the largest fleet in the Northeast and had an “unparalleled” safety record, but according to news accounts cited by Reuters, the company has been involved in at least two other crashes. In July 2007, a helicopter crashed in the Hudson River, and the pilot and seven passengers were rescued. In August 2009, a helicopter collided with a small plane over the Hudson, killing nine people.  

The company did not respond immediately to questions from Reuters about the crash on Monday.

Metro Staff Reporter Nikki M. Mascali contributed to this report.


More from our Sister Sites