Halifax Regional Police are warning the public about a chimney sweep scam and are urging Halifax residents to be wary when contracting workers to service their homes.
Police say they have received a number of complaints concerning a group who is going door to door in Halifax claiming they are professional chimney sweeps. Once they inspect a chimney, they claim it needs major work and overcharge the homeowner for incomplete work.
Police are offering these tips to homeowners:
• Always use reputable companies, and contact the Better Business Bureau to verify businesses’ authenticity.
• Insist on a detailed quote of the work required.
• Ensure the bill itemizes the work done.
• Do not pay by cash unless you are sure of the legitimacy of the company and their work.
• Ensure the information on the receipt is correct, including the company name, address and phone number.