Residents in several southeast communities got a 101 on fire safety last night as the calgary fire department launched their “Be fire smart, don’t get burned” blitz.
Fire spokesperson Jeff Budai said the blitz comes during fire prevention week and was pleased southeast residents reacted positively to the informative visit from firefighters.
“We’ve received a lot of feedback and its just fun knocking on doors and getting into some residents homes and just making sure they are being fire safe,” Budai said during the blitz.
Budai said the theme this year is to be fire safe and includes ensuring stoves are turned off, candles aren’t left burning and fire alarms work, including others.
“It’s really just about making sure people are fire smart and ensuring homes are fire safe.”
While firefighters were knocking door-to-door they were checking and installing fire alarms and informing residents on safer choices, including which types of candles are safest.
The Home Safety Program has evolved from the highly successful Residential Smoke Detector Program which the department launched in 1997. Since the inception of the program firefighters have visited 191,681 homes installing over 21,000 smoke alarms and replacing more than 14,000 batteries.
The program is supported by corporate partners Intact Insurance, Trico Homes, Morrison Homes and Source Media Group.
Fire prevention week runs until Saturday.