The good folks at Whole Foods Market gave us this awesome beer pairing cheat sheet so not to offend any beer snobs in your group come game day. Then they hooked us up with this delicious and stress-free recipe for chicken chili. The sweet corn helps balance the spicy sauce and there’s pinto or kidney beans for extra nutrition. Not feeling chicken? Lean ground turkey or beef work well in the recipe, too. Just remember, serve it withLeft Hand Brewery’s Nitro Milk Stout for optimal flavor.
Spicy corn and chicken chili
• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
• 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 1 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
• 2 teaspoons oregano
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon ground coriander
• Cayenne powder, to taste
• 1 pound ground chicken breast
• 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
• 1/2 cup mild or medium salsa
• 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen corn kernels, or 3 cups fresh corn kernels
• Fine sea salt, to taste
• 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently until onions are translucent. Stir in chili powder, oregano, cumin, coriander and cayenne and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Add chicken. Stir to break up and brown for 3 minutes. Add tomato sauce, 1 cup water, salsa and corn. Season with salt, then bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 20 minutes, stirring often, until flavors have melded and chili is thick. Stir in cilantro and serve.