The continuing saga of Alex Rodriguez took its latest strange turn on Wednesday as his personal doctor Michael Gross made the media rounds to claim his client was fine to play and that the team was purposely delaying his return. The Yankees immediately refuted Rodriguez was healthy and said they had not provided Gross with Rodriguez’s MRI on his strained quad.
Gross, according to interviews, said he had looked at the MRI.
"Contrary to the Basic Agreement, Mr. Rodriguez did not notify us at any time that he was seeking a second opinion from any doctor with regard to his quad strain," general manager Brian Cashman said in a statement. "As you know, it is the Yankees’ desire to have Alex return to the lineup as soon as possible. And we have done everything to try and accomplish this."
Rodriguez is still waiting to hear from MLB about whether he will be suspended for receiving performance-enhancing drugs from a Miami-area clinic named Biogenesis. He is reportedly working with the league in order to come to a settlement, much the way Brewers outfielder Ryan Braun did earlier this week.
The Yankees made special note of the fact Rodriguez was the first to claim he was injured last week, making the claim that he is healthy a confusing one.
- PHOTOS: What's Brewing in Steamy Hallows, the Harry Potter-Inspired Cafe19 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Frida Kahlo at the Brooklyn Museum doesn't hold back23 Pictures
"As early as Friday, July 12, when I suggested to Alex that we move his rehab from Tampa to Triple-A Scranton (at Buffalo), Alex complained for the first time of 'tightness' in his quad and therefore refused to consent to the transfer of his assignment," Cashman said in the statement. "Again, last Sunday, Alex advised that he had stiffness in his quad and should not play on Sunday or Monday. We sent Alex to NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital for an MRI which evidenced a Grade 1 strain.
"As always, we will follow the rules and regulations set forth in the Basic Agreement, and will again re-evaluate Alex in Tampa tomorrow, as our goal is to return him to the lineup as soon as he is medically capable of doing so."
Follow Metro New York Sports Editor Mark Osborne on Twitter @MetroNYSports.