(Reuters) - Argentina's Juan Martin del Potro has been handed a wildcard entry into the Shanghai Masters following his battling silver medal at the 2016 Rio Olympics.
The 27-year-old, who has been hampered by wrist injuries for the past three years, was beaten by Britain's Andy Murray for the gold but had dumped out world number one Novak Djokovic and fifth-ranked Rafa Nadal en route to the final.
Del Potro, who reached the third round at Wimbledon in his come-back slam, won through to the second round of the U.S. Open with a straight sets victory over fellow Argentine Diego Schwartzman on Tuesday.
The Shanghai Masters begin from Oct. 9.
- PHOTOS: New art and old relics at Mickey Mouse's NYC gallery 25 Pictures
- PHOTOS: See Yes on 3 supporters react to historic transgender rights Question 3 win 11 Pictures
- PHOTOS: A look back at Queen performing in the 1970s and 1980s 22 Pictures
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 35 Pictures
- PHOTOS: A look at Idris Elba's style through the years 20 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Heidi Klum's annual Halloween party and other amazing celebrity costumes 17 Pictures
- These are the spookiest cities per capita in the U.S. 5 Pictures
- Food Network star talks pumpkin carving 1 Pictures
- Who is Alexander Edwards, Amber Rose's new boyfriend? 9 Pictures
- Is Cardi B pregnant again? This tweet has people guessing 6 Pictures
- Natural Museum's best wildlife photos of the year 5 Pictures
(Reporting by Ian Rodricks in Bengaluru; Editing by Alison Williams)