(Reuters) - The European Formula One Grand Prix in Baku is set to be renamed the Azerbaijani Grand Prix next season after organizers requested the change.
"We hope the next race will be held under the name of the Azerbaijani Grand Prix," the country's Trend news agency quoted Baku City Circuit marketing and communications head Nigar Arpadarai as saying.
"We successfully held Formula One in the capital for the first time. Therefore, it is time to link the name of this stage with our country."
Arpadarai, who said Formula One management had no objections to the name change, said the original purpose of the European designation was to emphasize the country's links to the continent.
Azerbaijan hosted its first Formula One race in June.
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 35 Pictures
- Here's what it's like to fish for your dinner at Zauo NYC (photos) 21 Pictures
- PHOTOS: The best cosplay of NYCC 2018, Day 3 44 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Looking back at Heidi Klum's best Halloween costumes 19 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Nightmare Machine, the haunted house for millennials 14 Pictures
- American Music Awards 2018: Red carpet looks, list of winners 23 Pictures
- What you need to know about MTV's 'How Far Is Tattoo Far?' 9 Pictures
- Who is Alexander Edwards, Amber Rose's new boyfriend? 9 Pictures
- Are Blac Chyna and Rob Kardashian getting back together? 8 Pictures
- Anne Frank's Diary now comes as a graphic novel 3 Pictures
- Reimagine End of Life celebrates all things death and dying 5 Pictures
(Reporting by Alan Baldwin, editing by Ed Osmond)